Coinbase is one of the world's biggest digital currency wallet/exchange that support storing, transacting and trading of cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin etc. It one of the oldest begineer entry cryptocurrency exchange which support buying and selling of cryptocurrency directly with a connected Bank account or other payment methods.
Coinbase is a San Francisco based exchange and was founded in 2012 by Brian Armstrong and Fred Etrsam as part of Ycombinator. Coinbase started as Bitcoin Broker, selling Bitcoin directly to customers but over the years has added alot of services along the way making it one of the most reliable crypto exchange out there.
Coinbase currently has over 20 million users from all around the world with over $150 Billion worth of cryptocurrencies traded. Also Coinbase was able to raise $217 million from world leading investors like Ycombinator, Andreessen Horowitz, USV, USAA and more making it one of the most reputable crypto exchange with lots of external backing.
Coinbase support trading of BTC, ETH, LTC, BCH, ETC and more. Users can deposit using either Wire Transfer or Debit/Credit card.
It is important to note that Coinbase is a fully licensed and regulated KYC/AML complaint exchange, you are required to undergo identity verification before you can make use of it service.
Currently Coinbase support and fully operate in 32 different countries across Asia, Europe, North America and Australia.
1. Begineer Friendly: This is one point where Coinbase really shines, it's is one of the most recommended beginner entry cryptocurrency wallet/exchange cause one does not need to know how to trade to buy and sell cryptocurrency on the platform using ones bank account. Coinbase is mostly regarded as one of the best exchange for beginners to trade Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, It interface is very clean, Intuitive and easy to navigate.
Coinbase also provides a mobile app available for both Android and iOS.
2. Reputation: Coinbase is one of the oldest reliable exchange out there with millions of users and it backed by reputable organizations. Coinbase is also one of the few cryptocurrency exchange that is protected by insurance.
3. Security: Coinbase takes careful security measures to ensure optimal security of users funds. According to it website, about 98% of customer funds are stored in offline storage and distributed in safe deposit boxes in different geographical location all around the world.
Two factor authentication (2FA) is also available for adding extra layer of security to user accounts.
4. Merchant API: Coinbase provides a well documented API allowing online merchant to accept cryptocurrency on their website.
1. It Not Available Globally: Coinbase is only available in a very limited amount of countries which spread across few continent.
Based on my research, Coinbase is a legit exchange, the only major disadvantage is that it's not available in most countries. If your country is also not supported, i recommeded you to checkout Luno which is quite similar to Coinbase but support a larger number of countries.